Saturday, March 27, 2010

Kids

I never thought myself one to enjoy the kids on my rotations, but they are starting to grow on me. They actually have quite a few qualities that I am jealous of. Mainly, they know how to say "no," they demand what they want, and they will do nothing for you until you give it to them.

Me: "Hello little 4 year old child, can I listen to your heart?"
Kid: "No!"
Me: "I really need to listen to your heart."
Kid: "I want to draw my name"
Me: "You know how to draw your name?"
Kid: "Yes! I'm the best at it! I want to draw it!"
Me: "Okay, okay, can I listen to your heart after?"
Kid: "mmmmmmmmm. okay."

So I give the kid a marker and await his masterpiece. He proceeds to draw a circle and a triangle.

Me: "Okay! Good job!"
Kid: (beaming) "I'm the best"

So to recap. I am 25 years old. Kid is 4. I have no control of the room. Kid has total control. I don't get to decide what my name is (usually I'm called, "move" or "I need to be standing there" or "watch out"). Kid gets to call himself circle triangle.  Ah, the lessons we can learn from children.

4 comments:

  1. You have no control only because you don't want to resort to other means such as beating the snot out of him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just wish your name was circle triangle too ray..

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting blog u have here! esp since i'm a med student 2! will b chkin ur blog out periodically =) loved the gen surgery clip u posted b4 too!

    ReplyDelete