Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Layers of the Abdominal Wall

I'm on Peds Urology now. Believe it or not, I have only been asked the layers of the abdominal wall one time on my entire 12 week surgery rotation. Being that I am now on subspecialties I felt I would be safe from this question. I was wrong.

Attending: What are the layers of the abdominal wall?
Me: Skin, subcutaneous fat, campers fascia, scarpa's fascia, rectus, external oblique, internal oblique, transversali...
Attending: Transversus abdominis, you mean.
Me: Oh yes, sorry. Then transversalis fascia, preperitoneal fat, peritoneum.
Attending: (silence)

So I mixed up one thing. Pretty good I thought. But no....

Resident: That's weird you don't know the layers of the abdominal wall
Me: I thought I just mixed up one thing...
Resident: I mean that's really important to know. Seems like you should know it.

Well, that's life. 91% just doesn't cut it these days.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah...i got the same schpeel about MUDPILES. Had been awhile since I'd thought about it, and I knew the overall causes of anion gap acidosis, but the nephrologist gave me the ol "so, didn't you guys learn this? It's BASIC! Sort of important to know". Basically meaning "i cannot teach you guys anything else since you are this incompetent".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I am also a med student, and I was legitimately searching for "the layers of the abdominal wall" so that I don't get pimped on my surgical rotation, and yours was one of the top Google results! Great blog, btw. Congrats on becoming a resident. You should keep updating the blog. It's great :)

    ReplyDelete